Schedule, Deadlines & Help
Welcome to the 5th Asian Symposium on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH 2019), which will be held on Friday and Saturday, December 20-21, 2019 at the Bunka Koryu Kaikan in Hiroshima City, Japan. WASH 2019 is being held in partnership with the 7th Asian Symposium on Healthcare Without Borders (HWB 2019).
WASH 2019 will coincide with the start of winter in Japan, which is actually an ideal time of the year for visiting Hiroshima. All attending participants will have an opportunity for travel around Hiroshima, including its two UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Peace Park and the Shrine Island of Miyajima (Itsukushima). The venue site overlooks the Honkawa River with a riverside walking path that leads directly to Peace Park.
|Friday, December 20, 2019
||Saturday, December 21, 2019
|08:30 to 10:00
|18:00 to 19:30
(optional) Informal Dinner
4,500 JPY per person
|09:30 to 11:00
Opening Remarks & Plenary Speaker
|11:30 to 12:30
Welcome Reception with Posters
|12:30 to 18:30
|WASH 2019||will be held||December 20-21, 2019
|Submissions||are due by||Friday, November 1
|Decisions||will be sent
||on a rolling basis
||will open||Monday, November 4
|Early Registration||is available until
||Friday, November 15
|Late Registration||begins from
||Saturday, November 16|
|Presenter Schedule||will be posted after||Monday, November 18
|Final Registration||must be confirmed by||Friday, December 13
|Full Paper (optional)||is due by||Friday, December 13|
|Virtual Presenter||files must be sent by||Friday, December 13|
We will organize (2) receptions for this event: an informal ticketed dinner and a welcome luncheon that will be free for all registered participants. See the details below:
(Optional) Ticketed Dinner in Japanese Izakaya*
Date: Friday, December 20, 2019
Time: 18:00 to 19:30
Meeting Point: Bunka Koryu Kaikan lobby at 17:45
Cost for Registrants: 4,500 JPY
Note: The reception will be contingent on receiving a minimum number of confirmed reception attendees.
General Welcome Reception
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2019
Time: 11:30 to 13:30
Location: Hiroshima City Bunka Koryu Kaikan
Cost: Free for event registrants
Note: This follows the plenary or coincides with the poster session. The full details will be provided when the schedule is announced. Coffee, tea and light snacks will be served.
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
- Can you recommend hotels near the Hiroshima Bunka Koryu Kaikan? The Bunka Koryu Kaikan is in the heart of downtown Hiroshima City, near Peace Park, with dozens of hotels nearby. Please check one of the many online hotel booking sites or consult a travel agency to advise you
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the secretariat immediately to change to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. There will be an optional, ticketed, informal dinner on Friday, December 20, 2019 (4,500 JPY per person) and also a free welcome reception in the afternoon of Saturday, December 21, 2019. The Saturday reception will include coffee, tea and light snacks.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
For the Friday night informal dinner, tickets must be purchased for guests. The Saturday reception is for registered participants only.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 to 25 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm).
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, coffee breaks and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses, or sightseeing?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Requests must be submitted by Friday, November 29, 2019.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs, so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option (contact us for details).
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- Why must I provide my email address at my university to submit a proposal?
The university registered email address is required for verification and security purposes. Submissions sent from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and other private email accounts will be rejected.
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
All submissions are graded using a double blind, peer review process. The abstract is scored using a rubric that assessed areas such as originality, clarity/organization, spelling/grammar and suitability for the event.
- When will I be notified if my proposal has been rejected or accepted? Depending on the volume of submissions received, we try to send decisions within a few weeks of receiving the submission.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event in electronic format. We will send you a link.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- What visa support is provided by the organizers?
There are two types of invitation letters: a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present, which the organizers provide free-of-charge to all accepted proposals; the second type is a formal invitation letter for travel, which will be provided for free on a case-by-case basis to confirmed registrants only. Formal hard copy invitation letters mailed by express mail service are 10,000 JPY.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist you if your travel application is rejected.
- What if I need a letter of guarantee? Contact the Embassy or Consulate of Japan nearest you for travel requirements. Please note that registering for the event does not oblige the organizers to provide visa support. The organizers cannot and will not provide guarantee letters to anyone. If you need a guarantee letter to support your travel documents, we suggest that you ask your university or government for support.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org