Schedule, Deadlines & Help
We welcome you to join us in Osaka, Japan on Saturday and Sunday, March 28-29, 2020 for the 5th Asian Symposium on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH 2020), to be held at the Osaka Corona Hotel in Osaka City, Japan. This event is being organized alongside the 7th Asian Symposium on Healthcare Without Borders (HWB 2020).
HWB 2020 will coincide with the cherry blossom viewing period around Osaka. The good weather and blooming cherry blossoms brings Japanese people together for ‘hanami’ celebrations around the city. Hanami is means to to enjoy the scenery of blooming cherry trees, “sakura” in Japanese, in spring. In Japan, people sit on a tarps or blankets beneath the cherry trees and spend time together drinking, eating and having a picnic.
|Saturday, March 28
||Sunday, March 29
|08:00 to 12:00
|08:30 to 11:00
|08:30 to 10:00
Opening Remarks & Plenary Speaker
|09:30 to 11:45
|10:00 to 13:00
Lunch with Posters
|11:45 to 12:00
|17:00 to 18:30
Dinner Reception (optional)
|WASH 2020||will be held||March 28-29, 2020
|Submissions||are due by||Friday, January 17
|Decisions||will be sent
||within two to four weeks
||will open||Monday, January 20
|Early Registration||is available until
||Friday, January 31
|Advance Registration||is available until||Friday, February 14|
|Late Registration||begins from
||Saturday, February 15
|Presenter Schedule||will be posted after||Monday, February 17
|Final Registration||must be confirmed by||Friday, March 13
|Full Paper (optional)||is due by||Friday, March 13|
|Virtual Presenter||files must be sent by||Friday, March 13|
We warmly invite participants to join us for dinner in a relaxing atmosphere. The reception is a great chance to meet other participants, network, discuss research and sample the famous cuisine of Osaka.
It has been said that the people of Osaka spend more on food than on anything else, and the term “kuidaore” (“eat until you drop”) is used to describe the food culture here. Not surprisingly, Osaka is famous for various local dishes, some of which have attained nationwide and even international fame
The menu will suit everyone’s tastes from Japanese and western to vegetarian and halal. We will depart from the Osaka Corona Hotel lobby promptly at 16:45 and walk as a group to the restaurant, which is only a few minutes on foot from the Corona Hotel.
Date: Saturday, March 28, 2020
Time: 17:00 to 18:30
Style: All-you-can-eat-and drink
Food: Japanese, Vegetarian, Halal
Cost: ¥1000 for Participants / ¥3500 for guests
RSVP: Required (cancellations will incur a ¥500 penalty)
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the secretariat immediately to change to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. There will be a lunch reception and a dinner reception on Saturday, March 28, 2020.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
For the Saturday night informal dinner, tickets must be purchased for guests. The Saturday reception is for registered participants only.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 to 25 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm).
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, coffee breaks and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses, or sightseeing?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Requests must be submitted by Friday, November 29, 2019.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs, so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option (contact us for details).
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- Why must I provide my email address at my university to submit a proposal?
The university registered email address is required for verification and security purposes. Submissions sent from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and other private email accounts will be rejected.
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
All submissions are graded using a double blind, peer review process. The abstract is scored using a rubric that assessed areas such as originality, clarity/organization, spelling/grammar and suitability for the event.
- When will I be notified if my proposal has been rejected or accepted? Depending on the volume of submissions received, we try to send decisions within a few weeks of receiving the submission.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event in electronic format. We will send you a link.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- What visa support is provided by the organizers?
There are two types of invitation letters: a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present, which the organizers provide free-of-charge to all accepted proposals; the second type is a formal invitation letter for travel, which will be provided for free on a case-by-case basis to confirmed registrants only. Formal hard copy invitation letters mailed by express mail service are 10,000 JPY.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist you if your travel application is rejected.
- What if I need a letter of guarantee? Contact the Embassy or Consulate of Japan nearest you for travel requirements. Please note that registering for the event does not oblige the organizers to provide visa support. The organizers cannot and will not provide guarantee letters to anyone. If you need a guarantee letter to support your travel documents, we suggest that you ask your university or government for support.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org