Hiroshima has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and cool winters. The summer is noticeably wetter than the winter, although rain falls throughout the year.
During the event sessions, the expected dress code is business casual. If you will be traveling around Hiroshima, we suggest wearing comfortable shoes and to bring a light jacket and hat.
On Saturday, December 21, 2019, a welcome reception will be held in the early afternoon. Normally, the welcome reception follows the plenary or coincides with the poster session. The full details will be provided when the schedule is announced. Coffee, tea and light snacks will be served.
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2019
Time: 11:30 to 13:30
Location: Hiroshima City Bunka Koryu Kaikan
Cost: Free for event registrants
All sessions and the welcome reception will be held in the Hiroshima City Bunka Koryu Kaikan, which is situated alongside the Honkawa River and is just a short stroll from Peace Park. Situated in the city center, this hotel is close to Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, and Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims. Also nearby are the Gates of Peace Memorial, the A-Bomb Dome and the Bell of Peace: all part of the UN World Heritage site.
- 15 minutes from JR Hiroshima Station by the Hiroden Streetcar. Get off at the Funairi-machi Stop (E-1) and then walk 5 minutes east on foot towards Peace Park. The Bunka Koryu Kaikan is the large building on the left side street corner next to the Honkawa River.
- 15 minutes by taxi from Hiroshima Station or 5 minutes by taxi from Hiroshima Bus Center
- Approx. 1 hour Limousine bus from Hiroshima Airport (arrive at Bus Center)
Hiroshima City Bunka Koryu Kaikan Address & Website
Address: 3-3 Kakomachi, Naka Ward, Hiroshima, 730-0812
Email Contact Link: https://h-bkk.jp/contact/
Hiroshima Airport serves both international and domestic flights, and is an accessible route for participants traveling via Tokyo Narita Airport (NRT) or Osaka Kansai International Airport (KIX).
Limousine buses from Hiroshima Airport to the Hiroshima City
- Bus service from Hiroshima Airport to the city center depart every 15 minutes. It takes approximately 50 minutes and costs JPY 1300; or you can pay JPY 2,360 (both ways; ticket valid for 7 days). The bus has two destination options: (1) the Hiroshima Bus Terminal in the center of the city, and (2) Hiroshima Train Station, also in the center of the city. Streetcar service from both locations will reach most hotels around the city. Alternatively, you may opt to take a taxi.
- The conference does not provide transportation services to and from the airport. Airport shuttle services or taxis are readily available outside of the airport
Shinkansen (bullet train) Service from Tokyo and Osaka
- Shinkansen trains depart from Tokyo Station and Shinagawa Station every 15 to 20 minutes. The distance from Tokyo to Hiroshima is 894km or 559 miles, and will take approximately 4 hours. The train fare depends on the type of ticket and train service. For more information, please click here
- Shinkansen trains depart from Shin-Osaka Station every 15 to 20 minutes. The distance from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima is 342km or 212 miles, and will take approximately 1hr, 45 minutes. The train fare depends on the type of ticket and train service. For more information, please click here
According to the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as of 2018, passport holders from (69) countries have visa exemptions for entering Japan, and do not need to apply for a visa with an invitation letter.
If you are from a country without a visa exemption, then you will need an invitation letter when applying for visa permission to travel to Japan, which can be prepared for registered presenters and audience on a case-by-case basis by the event organizer. If you are unsure, please contact the Embassy or Consulate of Japan nearest you for travel requirements.
Please note that registering for the event does not oblige the organizers to provide visa support nor does the registration fee payment include the costs associated with preparing, processing and mailing letters of invitation.
There are two types of invitation letters: a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present, which the organizers provide free-of-charge to all accepted proposals; the second type is a formal invitation letter for travel, which will be provided for free on a case-by-case basis to confirmed registrants only. Formal hard copy invitation letters mailed by express mail service are 10,000 JPY.
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding for this event. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs, so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option.