Schedule, Deadlines & Help
Welcome to the 6th Conference on Sustainable Tourism in Asia (COSTA 2019) to be held Friday and Saturday, August 30-31, 2019 at the Mitsui Garden Hotel in Hiroshima, Japan. This event is partnered with the 6th Conference on Management and Sustainability in Asia (COMSA 2019).
This is a small, international, peer-reviewed symposium with a limited number of oral and poster presentation time slots. We encourage all interested participants to submit presentations as early as possible. Please note that submissions and registration will close when the event has reached its capacity.
|Friday, August 30
||Saturday, August 31
||Sunday, September 1
|09:30 to 10:00
|Optional Peace Park Tour
11:30 to 12:30
|15:00 to 16:00
|10:00 to 11:30
Opening Remarks & Plenary Speaker
|Optional Miyajima Tour
12:30 to 16:30
|Optional Welcome Dinner Reception
17:00 to 18:30
|11:30 to 12:30
Welcome Reception with Posters
|12:30 to 18:30
|COSTA 2019||will be held||August 30-31, 2019
|Submissions||are due by||Friday, July 12
|Decisions||will be sent within||two weeks*|
||will open||Monday, July 15
|Early Registration||is available until
||Friday, July 26
|Late Registration||begins on
||Saturday, July 27
|Presenter Schedule||will be posted after||Monday, July 15
|Final Registration||must be confirmed by||Friday, August 23
|Full Paper (optional)||is due by||Friday, August 23|
|Virtual Presenter||files must be sent by||Friday, August 23|
Deadlines and Presenter Schedule
The Program Schedule will be announced after Monday, July 15, 2019.
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
- Can you recommend hotels near the Hiroshima Mitsui Garden Hotel? The Mitsui Garden is in the heart of downtown Hiroshima City, near Peace Park, with dozens of hotels nearby. Please check one of the many online hotel booking sites or consult a travel agency to advise you.
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the secretariat immediately to change to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. There will be an optional ticketed welcome reception in the evening of Friday, August 30, 2019. The ticket is 4,500 JPY per person.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
No. The reception is part of the event. It is for registered participants only.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm).
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, coffee breaks and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses, or sightseeing?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Requests must be submitted by Friday, August 2, 2019. Penalties may apply.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs, so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option.
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- Why must I provide my email address at my university to submit a proposal? The university registered email address is required for verification and security purposes. Submissions sent from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and other private email accounts will be rejected.
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
All submissions are graded using a double blind, peer review process. The abstract is scored using a rubric that assessed areas such as originality, clarity/organization, spelling/grammar and suitability for the event.
- When will I be notified if my proposal has been rejected or accepted? Depending on the volume of submissions received, we try to send decisions within two three weeks of receiving the submission.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event in electronic format. We will send you a link.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Japan for details.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Embassy of Japan are final. We cannot and will not assist if your application is rejected.
- How can I receive a letter of guarantee?
We do not provide guarantee letters. Ask your university or government for help.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org