Schedule, Deadlines & Help
We welcome you to join us in Osaka, Japan on Friday and Saturday, March 27-28, 2020 for the 6th Conference on Sustainable Tourism in Asia (COSTA 2020), to be held at the Osaka Corona Hotel in Osaka City, Japan. This event is being organized alongside the 6th Conference on Human Development in Asia (COHDA 2020).
COSTA 2020 will coincide with the cherry blossom viewing period around Osaka. In Japanese culture and society, spring is restart of life, and the blooming cherry blossoms is its symbol. It is the perfect time for ‘hanami’ celebrations around the city where cherry blossoms can be viewed and admired. Hanami is an important ritual in Japanese culture dating back hundreds of years. It is customary for people to gather in parks and spread tarps beneath the cherry trees, admiring the splendor of the blossoms, while eating, drinking, singing and enjoying time with family and friends. The most popular spots for hanami get crowded with food and drink stalls, and sometimes there are festivals and events of all kinds. Plus, hanami in Osaka can be enjoyed not only during daytime, but also at night, when the cherry trees are lit up, which makes hanami even more beautiful.
|Friday, March 27
||Saturday, March 28
|08:00 to 12:00
|08:30 to 11:00
|08:30 to 10:00
Opening Remarks & Plenary Speaker
|09:30 to 11:45
|10:00 to 13:00
Lunch with Posters
| 11:45 to 12:00
|17:00 to 18:30
Dinner Reception (optional)
|COSTA 2020||will be held||March 27-28, 2020
|Schedule of Presenters||will be posted by||Monday, March 2|
|Final Submissions||are due by||Friday, March 6
|Final Registration||must be confirmed by||Friday, March 13
|Full Paper (optional)||is due by||Friday, March 13|
|Virtual Presenter||files must be sent by||Friday, March 13|
Deadlines and Presenter Schedule
The Program Schedule will be announced by Monday, March 2, 2020.
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
- Can you recommend hotels near the Osaka Corona Hotel? The Corona Hotel is near Shin-Osaka Station. Please check one of the many online hotel booking sites or consult a travel agency to advise you
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the secretariat immediately to change to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. There will be a free welcome reception in the afternoon of Friday, March 27, 2020. The reception will include coffee, tea and light snacks.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
No. The reception is for registered participants only.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm).
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, welcome reception and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses, or sightseeing?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Refunds will be allowed up to Monday, March 9, 2020, less a 12,500 JPY administrative fee.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs, so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option.
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- Why must I provide my email address at my university to submit a proposal? The university registered email address is required for verification and security purposes. Submissions sent from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and other private email accounts will be rejected.
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
All submissions are graded using a double blind, peer review process. The abstract is scored using a rubric that assessed areas such as originality, clarity/organization, spelling/grammar and suitability for the event.
- When will I be notified if my proposal has been rejected or accepted? Depending on the volume of submissions received, we try to send decisions within two three weeks of receiving the submission.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event in electronic format. We will send you a link.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Japan for details.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Embassy of Japan are final. We cannot and will not assist if your application is rejected.
- How can I receive a letter of guarantee?
We do not provide guarantee letters. Ask your university or government for help.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org