Schedule, Deadlines & Help
We welcome you to join us in Hiroshima, Japan for the 5th Asian Symposium on Healthcare Without Borders, which will be held jointly with the International Conference on Advancing the Life Sciences and Public Health Awareness (ALPHA) and the 5th Conference on Human Development in Asia (COHDA).
HWB was also held this past summer in Hiroshima and preceded the 72nd Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony. Due to the inability of many participants to attend in August due to the memorial and peak season travel, we are holding HWB this December again in Hiroshima.
In addition to the symposium, participants will have an opportunity to enjoy a free, guided tour in English of Hiroshima Peace Park, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
|Wednesday, December 20
||Thursday, December 21
|09:30 Check in Opens
Join us for Coffee and Tea
|10:00 to 11:45
|10:00 to 11:30
Opening Remarks and Featured Speakers
|11:45 to 12:00
|11:30 to 12:30
|13:00 to 14:30
(Optional) Peace Park Tour
|12:30 to 17:00
Oral and Poster Sessions
|17:30 to 19:00
|HWB 2017||will be held||December 20-21, 2017|
|Submissions||are due||Friday, November 17|
|Early Registration||is available until||Friday, November 24|
|Final Registration||for presenters is||Friday, December 1|
|Full Paper (optional)||should be sent by
||Friday, December 8
The Program Schedule will be available in late November.
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
- What other hotels are nearest to the KKR Hiroshima?
The nearest hotels to the KKR Hiroshima (10-15 minutes on foot) are the Righa Royal Hotel, the Mielparque Hotel and Unizo Inn.
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the Secretariat immediately and we may offer you the option of switching to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will the event have tea breaks?
Yes. Tea, ice water and coffee will be provided. See the program schedule for deals.
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. There will be a welcome reception on the first day of the event.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
Yes, but guests must also pay for the reception ticket and seating is limited.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 to 25 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Boards mounted on stands will be provided with tape. Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm).
- What are the instructions for virtual presentations?
Prepare a video using the instructions we send to you.
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, tea breaks and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses, or sightseeing?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Requests must be submitted in writing at least 6 weeks prior to the event. Penalties will apply. There will be no refund given to registrants that no-show.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite. Virtual presenters see below.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- How will virtual presenters receive a receipt and presentation certificate?
For virtual presenters, this will be mailed to you after the event.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs (facility use, equipment, materials, breaks and staff, etc.), so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer group rates.
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- Why must I provide my email address at my university to submit a proposal? The university registered email address is required for verification and security purposes. Submissions sent from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and other private email accounts will be rejected.
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
This is an international, double-blind, peer-reviewed event. For ISSN and review committee details see the event homepage.
- When will I be notified if my proposal has been rejected or accepted? Depending on the volume of submissions received, we try to send decisions within a month of receiving the submission.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event in electronic format. Please download from our homepage.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- What visa support is provided by the organizers?
As a general rule, the organizers of HWB 2017 will not provide visa support. We advise that you ask your university or government to support your travel application.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist you if your travel application is rejected.
- What if I cannot attend due to visa difficulty? We offer a virtual presentation mode for participants unable to attend due to visa difficulty, lack of funding or schedule conflicts.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org