Invitation Letters & Grants
Detailed visa policies and other information can also be found on the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. As of 2017, passport holders from (69) countries have visa exemptions for entering Japan, and do not need to apply for a visa with an invitation letter.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Invitation Letters and Visa Support:
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- What visa support is provided by the organizers?
There are two types of invitation letters: a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present, which the organizers provide free-of-charge to all accepted proposals; the second type is a formal invitation letter for travel, which requires additional fees due to the complexity of the application (Formal invitation letters in PDF cost 6,000 JPY / Formal hard copy invitation letters mailed by express mail service are 17,000 JPY).
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist you if your travel application is rejected.
- What if I cannot attend due to visa difficulty? We offer a virtual presentation mode for participants unable to attend due to visa difficulty, lack of funding or schedule conflicts.
Information Regarding Guarantee Letters
Contact the Embassy or Consulate of Japan nearest you for travel requirements. Please note that registering for the event does not oblige the organizers to provide visa support. The organizers cannot and will not provide guarantee letters to anyone. If you need a guarantee letter to support your travel documents, we suggest that you ask your university or government for support.
Requests for Funding
- What if I cannot attend due to financial difficulties? We offer a virtual presentation option for participants unable to attend in person due to the high cost of travel and/or lack of financial support.
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs, so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer group rates.