Hiroshima has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and cool winters. The summer is noticeably wetter than the winter, although rain falls throughout the year.
Current Weather in Hiroshima
During the event sessions, the expected dress code is business casual. If you will be traveling around the city, we suggest wearing comfortable shoes and to bring a light jacket and hat.
The G-SLATE 2019 sessions and the welcome reception will be held in the Mitsui Garden Hotel Hiroshima, which is located a short distance from Peace Park. Situated in the city center, this hotel is close to Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, and Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims. Also nearby are the A-Bomb Dome and the Bell of Peace.
- 15 minutes from JR Hiroshima Station to Fukuromachi stop by streetcar.
- 10 minutes on foot from the Bus Center
- Approx. 1 hour Limousine bus from Hiroshima Airport (arrive at Bus Center)
Mitsui Garden Hotel Hiroshima Address & Website
Address: 9-12 Nakamachi, Nakaku, Hiroshima, 730-0037
Hiroshima Airport serves both international and domestic flights, and is an accessible route for participants traveling via Tokyo Narita Airport (NRT) or Osaka Kansai International Airport (KIX).
Limousine buses from Hiroshima Airport to the Hiroshima City
- Bus service from Hiroshima Airport to the city center depart every 15 minutes. It takes approximately 50 minutes and costs JPY 1300; or you can pay 2,360yen (both ways; ticket valid for 7 days). The bus has two destination options: (1) the Hiroshima Bus Terminal in the center of the city, and (2) Hiroshima Train Station, also in the center of the city. Streetcar service from both locations will reach most hotels around the city. Alternatively, you may opt to take a taxi.
- The conference does not provide transportation services to and from the airport. Airport shuttle services or taxis are readily available outside of the airport
Shinkansen (bullet train) Service from Tokyo and Osaka
- Shinkansen trains depart from Tokyo Station and Shinagawa Station every 15 to 20 minutes. The distance from Tokyo to Hiroshima is 894km or 559 miles, and will take approximately 4 hours. The train fare depends on the type of ticket and train service. For more information, please click here
- Shinkansen trains depart from Shin-Osaka Station every 15 to 20 minutes. The distance from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima is 342km or 212 miles, and will take approximately 1hr, 45 minutes. The train fare depends on the type of ticket and train service. For more information, please click here
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Invitation Letters and Visa Support:
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- What visa support is provided by the organizers?
There are two types of invitation letters: a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present, which the organizers provide free-of-charge to all accepted proposals; the second type is a formal invitation letter for travel, which requires additional fees due to the complexity of the application. Formal hard copy invitation letters mailed by express mail service are 15,000 JPY.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist you if your travel application is rejected.
- What if I cannot attend due to visa difficulty? We offer a virtual presentation mode for participants unable to attend due to visa difficulty, lack of funding or schedule conflicts.
Detailed visa policies and other information can also be found on the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. As of 2017, passport holders from (69) countries have visa exemptions for entering Japan, and do not need to apply for a visa with an invitation letter.
Invitation Letter Policy
- Attending participants with an accepted proposal will receive a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present. The PDF is provided free-of-charge.
- Requests for hard copy invitation letters for travel purposes require advance registration plus an additional non-refundable fee of 15,000 JPY for processing and express mail service. The fees must be paid by international bank transfer.
- Any applicants submitting requests for invitation letters or visa support using personal email addresses (i.e. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) will be rejected without notice and the application file will be deleted.
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding for this event. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs, so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option.