Schedule, Deadlines & Help
Welcome to the 4th International Conference on the Globalization of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education (G-SLATE 2019) to be held Saturday, Sunday and Monday, April 27-29, 2019 at the Mitsui Garden Hotel in Hiroshima, Japan. This event is partnered with the 6th Asian Conference on the Social Sciences and Sustainability (ACSUS 2019).
Early Bird Registration for this event is only 17,500 JPY until Thursday, February 28, 2019. Registration will open on Monday, February 25, 2019.
Due to the low registration fee for this international, peer-reviewed event, the number of oral and poster time slots is limited. The organizers will close submissions and registration when the event has reached its capacity.
|Saturday, April 27
||Sunday, April 28
||Monday, April 29|
|Optional Peace Park Tour
11:30 to 12:30
|09:30 to 10:00
|08:30 to 09:00
|Optional Miyajima Tour
12:30 to 16:30
|10:00 to 11:30
Opening Remarks & Plenary Speaker
|09:00 to 11:45
|Optional Welcome Dinner Reception
17:00 to 18:30
|11:30 to 12:30
Welcome Reception with Posters
|11:45 to 12:00
|12:30 to 18:30
|G-SLATE 2019||will be held||April 27-29, 2019
|Submissions||are due by||Friday, February 22
|Decisions||will be sent within||two weeks*|
||will open||Monday, February 25
|Early Registration||is available until||Thursday, February 28
|Advance Registration||is available until||Friday, March 14|
|Late Registration||is available until||Friday, April 26|
|Presenter Schedule||will be posted after||Friday, March 8
|Final Registration||must be confirmed by||Friday, April 12
|Full Paper (optional)||is due by||Friday, April 19
|Virtual Presenter||files must be sent by||Friday, April 19
The Program Schedule will be announced after Friday, March 8, 2019.
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
- Can you recommend hotels near the Hiroshima Mitsui Garden Hotel? The Mitsui Garden is in the heart of downtown Hiroshima City, near Peace Park, with dozens of hotels nearby. Please check one of the many online hotel booking sites or consult a travel agency to advise you.
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the Secretariat immediately and we may offer you the option of switching to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. There will be an optional ticketed welcome reception in the evening of Saturday, April 27, 2019. The ticket is 4,500 JPY per person.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
No. The welcome reception is only for registered participants. The reception is only for registered participants.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Boards mounted on stands will be provided with tape. Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm).
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, tea breaks with snacks and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses or meals?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Requests must be submitted in writing by Friday, March 29, 2019. Penalties will apply.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite. Virtual presenters see below.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
- What is the E-mail policy? A university or institution registered email address issued to you is required to apply as either a presenter or as audience. Personal email addresses (i.e. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) will be rejected without notice and the application file will be deleted.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs (facility use, equipment, materials, receptions, events and staff, etc.), so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presenter option.
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
This is an international, double-blind, peer-reviewed event.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event has concluded.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- How much is the fee for invitation letters?
We can provide a PDF invitation letter for free to registered participants; however, hard copy invitation letters sent by express mail are 10,000 JPY. The fee is non-refundable and not included in the registration fee.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist if your application is rejected.
- How can I receive a letter of guarantee?
We do not provide guarantee letters. Ask your university or government for help.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org