Schedule, Deadlines & Help
Welcome to the 2nd Asian Symposium on Culture, Policy and Education (SCOPE 2019) to be held on Saturday and Sunday, June 29-30, 2019 at the Nagoya Sakae Tokyu REI Hotel in Nagoya, Japan.
This is a small, international, peer-reviewed conference with a limited number of oral and poster presentation time slots. We will organize a ticketed, optional welcome dinner on Saturday, June 29th following the opening remarks. The main day of presentations will be Sunday, June 30. The schedule of presenters and presentation times will be posted after Friday, May 17, 2019.
|Saturday, June 29, 2019||Sunday, June 30, 2019
|16:30 to 17:00
|09:30 to 10:00
|17:00 to 18:00
Opening and Featured Speaker
|10:00 to 12:00
|18:00 to 19:30
(Optional) Informal Izakaya Dinner
|12:00 to 12:45
|12:45 to 16:45
Oral and Poster Sessions
|16:45 to 17:00
Closing Remarks and Group Photo
||will be held
||June 29-30, 2019|
|Submissions||are due by
||Friday, April 26, 2019
|Decisions||will be sent||within two weeks*|
||will open on||Monday, April 29, 2019|
|Early Registration||is available until||Friday, May 10, 2019
|Schedule & Agenda||will be posted after||Friday, May 17, 2019
|Final Registration||for all presenters is
||Friday, June 14, 2019
|Full Paper (optional)||must be received by||Friday, June 14, 2019|
Join us for an opportunity to catch up and mingle with fellow participants in a warm and relaxing atmosphere. The reception will serve a variety of Japanese, western and vegetarian courses.
Informal Izakaya Dinner (Ticketed Event)
Date: Saturday, June 29, 2019
Time: 18:00 to 19:30
Cost: 4,500 JPY per person
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
- What other hotels are nearest to the Nagoya Sakae Tokyu REI Hotel?
There are dozens of near the venue hotel. For maps and details, we suggest consulting one of the many online hotel search engines, such as this one.
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the Secretariat immediately to change to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will the event have coffee breaks?
Yes. Hot and cold drinks will be provided. See the program schedule for deals.
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. A ticketed dinner will be organized after the opening remarks on Saturday, June 29, 2019. Please note that this reception is conditional on having a minimum number of reception applications.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
Yes. Guests must also purchase a ticket.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm). Please prepare and print your poster in advance of the event. The organizers will not print posters.
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, coffee breaks and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses, or sightseeing?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Requests must be submitted by Friday, May 24, 2019.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs (facility use, equipment, materials, receptions, events and staff, etc.), so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option.
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
This is an international, double-blind, peer-reviewed event.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event has concluded.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- How much is the fee for invitation letters?
There are two types of invitation letters: a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present, which the organizers provide free-of-charge to all accepted proposals; the second type is a formal invitation letter for travel, which will be provided for free on a case-by-case basis to confirmed registrants only. Formal hard copy invitation letters mailed by express mail service are 15,000 JPY.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist if your application is rejected.
- How can I receive a letter of guarantee?
We do not provide guarantee letters. Ask your university or government for help.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org