Schedule, Deadlines & Help
Welcome to the 2nd Asian Symposium on Culture, Policy and Education (SCOPE 2019) to be held in Hiroshima, Japan on Friday and Saturday, December 21-22, 2019 at the Kokusai Hotel in Hiroshima. SCOPE 2019 will coincide with the end of autumn and start of winter in Japan, which is actually an ideal time of the year for visiting Hiroshima. All attending participants will have an opportunity for travel around Hiroshima, including its two UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Peace Park and the Shrine Island of Miyajima (Itsukushima).
|Friday, December 20
||Saturday, December 21
||Sunday, December 22
|09:30 to 10:00
09:00 to 11:00
|15:00 to 16:00
|10:00 to 11:30
Opening Remarks & Plenary Speaker
11:00 to 11:30
|Optional Welcome Dinner Reception
17:00 to 18:30
|11:30 to 12:30
Welcome Reception with Posters
|Optional Peace Park Tour
11:30 to 12:30
|12:30 to 18:30
|Optional Miyajima Tour
12:30 to 16:30
|SCOPE 2019||will be held||December 21-22, 2019
|Submissions||are due by||Friday, October 4
|Decisions||will be sent within||two weeks*|
||will open||Monday, October 7
|Early Registration||is available until
||Friday, October 18
|Advance Rate||is available until||Friday, November 1|
|Late Registration||is available until||Friday, November 1|
|Presenter Schedule||will be posted after||Monday, October 24
|Final Registration||must be confirmed by||Friday, December 6
|Full Paper (optional)||is due by||Friday, December 6|
|Virtual Presenter||files must be sent by||Friday, December 6|
On Friday, December 20, 2019 we will hold an optional dinner reception in a Japanese restaurant serving local and regional cuisine from 17:00 to 18:30. Please note that this is a ticketed event that will be 4,500 JPY per person. The reception will be contingent on receiving a minimum number of confirmed reception attendees.
Date: Friday, December 20, 2019
Time: 17:00 to 18:30
Meeting Point: Mitsui Garden Hotel lobby at 16:45
Cost for Registrants: 4,500 JPY
- Hotel Accommodation
- Illness & Emergencies
- Meals & Receptions
- Presentations & Equipment
- Registration, Receipts & Certificates
- Scholarships & Funding
- Submissions, Review & Proceedings
- Visas & Invitation Letters
Hotel Accommodation [back to top of questions]
- Does the registration fee include hotel accommodation and meals?
No. Hotel accommodation, arranging reservations, meals and other travel matters are the responsibility of the participant.
- Can you recommend hotels near the Hiroshima Kokusai Hotel? The Kokusai Hotel is in the heart of downtown Hiroshima City, near Peace Park, with dozens of hotels nearby. Please check one of the many online hotel booking sites or consult a travel agency to advise you.
Illness & Emergencies [back to top of questions]
- What if I am suddenly unable to attend after registering?
Contact the Secretariat immediately to change to virtual presentation mode.
- If I am unable to present, may my colleague present on my behalf?
Only if your colleague is a co-presenter and listed on the original submission.
Meals & Receptions [back to top of questions]
- Will the event have coffee breaks?
Yes. Hot and cold drinks will be provided. See the program schedule for deals.
- Will there be a welcome reception?
Yes. A ticketed dinner will be organized after the opening remarks on Friday, December 20, 2019. Please note that this reception is conditional on having a minimum number of reception applications.
- May I bring a friend or family member to the reception?
Yes. Guests must also purchase a ticket.
Presentations & Equipment [back to top of questions]
- How much time is given for oral presentations?
Oral presenters are allotted 20 minutes and arranged in parallel sessions of 3 to 5 presenters.
- What equipment is provided for oral presentations?
Computers, projectors, laser pointers and screens will be provided in each presentation room. Tech support is available.
- What equipment is provided for poster presentations?
Posters should be A0 47 x 33 inches (118cm x 84cm). Please prepare and print your poster in advance of the event. The organizers will not print posters.
Registration, Receipts and Certificates [back to top of questions]
- Does my registration payment include fees for co-authors also attending?
No. If your co-author will present with you, then he/she must register separately as a presenter.
- What does the registration fee include?
Entrance to all sessions, official program, name badge, coffee breaks and access to the proceedings.
- Does the registration fee include fees for travel expenses, hotel expenses, or sightseeing?
No. Such expenses are your responsibility.
- What is the refund policy?
Requests must be submitted by Friday, November 1, 2019.
- How can I receive a receipt for my registration payment?
Registrants will be confirmed via email and receive a hard copy receipt onsite.
- Will presenters and audience receive official certification of having attended and/or presented?
Yes. The official receipt that you receive at the event will also certify that you presented and attended.
- May family members and friends attend for free? No. Due to security, only registrants may attend. Also, no children are allowed.
Scholarships & Funding [back to top of questions]
- Do you offer scholarships, funding or waivers to participants?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer scholarships or funding. This is a small event and the budget is very limited. We hope this situation will change in the future.
- Can the registration fee be waived or reduced? The registration fee is necessary for covering the event costs (facility use, equipment, materials, receptions, events and staff, etc.), so the fee cannot be waived nor reduced; however, we do offer a virtual presentation option.
Submissions, Reviews & Proceedings [back to top of questions]
- How are abstract submissions reviewed?
This is an international, double-blind, peer-reviewed event.
- Is it required to submit a full paper?
No. If you would like to submit a paper, please review the Submission Guidelines.
- May I edit my proposal after submission?
Yes. Edits will be permitted up to 1 month prior to the event.
- When will the proceedings be available?
Shortly after the event has concluded.
Visas & Invitation Letters [back to top of questions]
- How can I know if I need a visa for travel?
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan for details.
- How much is the fee for invitation letters?
There are two types of invitation letters: a PDF acceptance letter with an invitation to present, which the organizers provide free-of-charge to all accepted proposals; the second type is a formal invitation letter for travel, which will be provided for free on a case-by-case basis to confirmed registrants only. Formal hard copy invitation letters mailed by express mail service are 10,000 JPY.
- What if my visa application is rejected?
All decisions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are final. We cannot and will not assist if your application is rejected.
- How can I receive a letter of guarantee?
We do not provide guarantee letters. Ask your university or government for help.
For all other questions and inquiries, please send an email to secretariat (at) intesda.org